Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
When a fire disaster befalls your Hanover Township / Bear Creek home or business it is important that firstly, you and your family are safe and looked after. Finding a place to stay while our restoration specialists take care of any damage to your home is important while you rest and recover. Furthermore, calling SERVPRO of Hanover Township / Bear Creek as soon as you possibly can after the fire has settled will help lower both further damage to your home and costs that you and your insurance will have to deal with. Mold can grow if the water and foam that was used to extinguish the fire is let sit for too long, this can also cause damage to any remaining furniture or belongings that have been left behind. With all of this in mind, it should still be your primary focus after a house fire to ensure that both you and your family are safe:
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (570) 822-4700
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.